Thursday, January 7, 2010

Idols...

In Chapter 2 of Bob Kauflin's book (Worship Matters), he talks about idol worship in today's society. Honestly, when I hear someone talk about an idol, I think of a couple of things. (1) I think of large, gaudy statues that people worshiped in Old Testament times. I really can't believe that people bowed, sacrificed, and believed that these statues could do anything for them. (2) Because of our music culture, I also think of American Idol. Does Clay Aiken really ooze idol to you? Perhaps to some, he does.

As described throughout the Bible, idol worship is simply worshiping anything other than God. In the Old Testament, people physically displayed their displeasure with God by outwardly worshiping various images. In turn, they expected blessings from the air, sun, sea, other people, birds, and anything else (again, other than God).

While all that may seem strange, people continue to worship idols today. They may not be solid gold images of people or animals, but plenty of things (jobs, treasures, relationships, and possessions) can pull our affections and worship away from our Creator. Things that one can physically touch and see can influence how they worship.
As believers and followers of Christ, we want to live a life of worship that honors Him. How can anything He created be more valuable than Him?

Jesus said it best in John 4 in His conversation with the women at the well in Samaria. "
Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks." (John 4:23)

God is worthy of all my worship (which is more than a song service on a Sunday morning). Might I continue to worship Him with everything that I am, in everything that I do.


2 comments:

  1. Idols are dangerous stuff. My idol for well over a decade was money and my career, which led to a severe gambling addiction that could have destroyed my marriage. (God blessed me with a phenomenal wife) When I accpeted Christ as my ONLY Higher Power, I slowly began to change. I'm a major work in progress, but at least I'm now a work in progress and I give all glory and honor to my Savior for what HE has done in my life and for the joy he has brought me in ways I never imagined before...

    Jim Noyes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise God for His grace and power in your life, Jim!

    ReplyDelete