Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I'd Rather Have Jesus

Take a minute to answer this questions - What is your favorite song? Think about it for a moment...

Why is that song your favorite? Perhaps a couple of songs came to mind. What memories enhanced the importance of the song(s)?

Personally, I have a number of favorite songs. However, I have one favorite hymn, I'd Rather Have Jesus.

About 10 years ago, I was volunteering at my dad's church as the worship leader (and youth director). I was finishing my senior year of college and I did not know where I was headed after college. I did not have a job lined up. I knew I wanted to serve the Lord in a full-time capacity. However, I did not know where God was calling me to serve. My prayers seemed to go nowhere. I felt like I was out on an island and God was so far away (it is funny how things seem when looking back at them).

One Sunday, my brother was asked to come and speak to the congregation. He was preparing to leave on a mission trip/internship to Ghana, West Africa. He spoke from his heart about how important it is to serve God. He talked about the apostle Paul and his love for Christ. He challenged the church (and me) to view everything around us as nothing and to view Christ as everything.

At the end of his message, he sang the hymn that George Beverly Shea penned years ago:
I'd rather have Jesus than silver or gold.
I'd rather be His than have riches untold.
I'd rather have Jesus than houses or lands.
I'd rather be led by His nail-pierced hand.

Than to be the king of a vast domain, or be held in sin's dread sway.
I'd rather have Jesus than anything this world affords today.

God spoke to me through my brother and gave me an outstanding perspective on my life. Having Jesus was all that mattered. I had peace knowing that He was more important than anything the future could bring.

When I sing this hymn, I am reminded about God's amazing greatness and grace in my life. I know that I would rather have Him than anything else this world can give.

1 comment:

  1. Great song of testimony, but just one slight correction. Bev Shea wrote the tune, but Rhea Millar penned the words of "I'd Rather Have Jesus." Nonetheless, over the years, it has become Bev's signature song. Since today he celebrates his 101st birthday, I've posted a tribute to him on my daily blog about hymns, Wordwise Hymns. I invite you to check it out.

    ReplyDelete