Tuesday, March 9, 2010

New Music

What is the best way to introduce a new song to the church? How do you know if you have a good new song for the church to sing? A lot of what I learned has come from Bob Kauflin (Worship Matters).

Here are some steps that I take when choosing new songs:
1. The song should say something. In my younger years, I focused on how "cool" the groove sounded. While the arrangement of the music is important, the lyrics connect the congregation to God.
2. There should be some variety and creativity in the song. We all are different, yet uniquely created by God. It is important that the new song does not sound like all the other songs the church is singing. As Bob Kauflin said, "Musical variety communicates God's heart for all generations, cultures, and races."
3. The song should encourage the church to worship God. My personal philosophy is vertical worship (songs that draw one's attention upward to God). New songs are easier to sing when the focus of the song is on the Lord.

It is essential for the worship leader to lead the church in all types of songs (hymns, choruses, new music, etc.). It is also important that the worship leader have a plan when selecting new music. I appreciate what God is teaching me through worship music.

"Sing to Him a new song; play skillfully, and shout for joy."
Psalm 33:3 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment