Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Healer

About a year and a half ago, I listened to Hillsong's newly released CD, This Is Our God. I thought it was outstanding. The worship was amazing, song writing was phenomenal, and I knew that the song, Stronger was going to be an instant classic for me and my church. As I was digging deeper into the project, I was drawn to the song, Healer. I watched the Hillsong team perform it live (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5qoQmjwv-0) and was blessed by the song. Then, I heard the unbelievable story of the song writer. If you go to the link, you will see the lead singer and song writer (Mike Guglielmucci) connected by a tube to some type of life support because of the cancer in his body.

A couple of weeks later, I found out that this song writer/worship leader (Mike G) faked the whole ordeal. He did not have cancer. He did not need any help from a machine. He was doing it all for show. Although I loved the song, I was bothered by the whole situation. So, along with many other worship leaders across the world, I chose not to use the song in a worship service.

About a month ago, I heard Kari Jobe (worship leader/recording artist) sing Healer on her recent worship project. She brought new life to a song that many had buried and forgotten. Personally, I was confronted again by the power of God. Nothing is impossible for Him. He can work in any situation, using small and great things to accomplish His purposes (including a song that was written for His glory, not ours).

I plan to introduce this song to my church this Sunday. I fully expect God to glorified and honored by the people singing the song to Him.

3 comments:

  1. This is a great song. Paul referred to himself as "chief among sinners" and of course God used him. I think that while the writer's actions are abhorrent and reprehensible, the words are true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sort of reminds me of Is. 45, when Isaiah calls Cyrus (a pagan ruler) anointed (lit.
    "Messiah"). Certainly shows that God sometimes uses people for his glory regardless of their loyalties or heart orientations.

    ReplyDelete